Awareness Programme for the GN Officers of Puttalam District
23 August 2023
This programme was organized by the Lanka Mangrove Museum with the support of Puttalam District Secreatary, Mr. H.A.S.P. Herath who attended to this programme. The key resource persons were Divisional Forest Officer of Puttalam District, G.D.G. Sarath Kumara, Additional Divisional Forest Officer, Mr. Dhammika Wathtgegama, Chilaw Range Forest Officer, Mr. R.A.C.D. Ranasinghe.
They talked about following topics
- Mangrove Forests in Sri Lanka – conducted by DFO
- Law connected with Mangrove Forests in Sri Lanka – conducted by RFO
- Mangroves and Eco Tourism – conducted by Additional DFO
There were 100 GN Officers participated for this programme and it is very valuable for them to know about the laws and regulations to monitor their own GN Divisions. There was a discussion session between these two parties and talked about the current problems, and threats, how to enforce the laws for man made issues related to mangrove forests.
The outcomes of this program are;
- Connect the GN Officers with Officers of Forest Department for Mangrove Conservation using law enforcement.
- Aware about rules and regulations of Mangrove Forests to the GN Officers for challenge the man- made destructive activities
- This is a key to build a database to find out information about updated information about mangrove forests from the GN Level to District Level in Puttalam District.